Careers At Whale Tankers
We currently have 1 job available.
With over 5 decades of trading and over 220 employees, our experience has taught us that our employees are our greatest assets. With an average length of service of 11 years, we don’t like to lose people once they have joined.
Absenteeism is low and we aim to keep it that way by offering benefits of BUPA and bonuses to encourage and help people come to work.
As an employer, Whale Tankers provides a range of rewards and benefits for people who join the team. Whale recognises the contribution employees make to the success of the business.
- A competitive salary
- The opportunity to invest in our share ownership scheme
- A company-funded pension scheme
- 25 days’ holiday entitlement, plus bank holidays
- A number of bonuses
We offer a full induction programme that includes Health and Safety, manual handling and job-specific training among other areas.
Whale strives to be an Equal Opportunities Employer and welcomes applicants regardless of age, gender, race or disability.
IT function at Whale
Whale Tankers is a manufacturing company of over 240 employees, mostly based in Solihull, but with salespeople and service engineers working remotely from around the country.
The function of the IT department is to ensure that the IT systems at Whale meet the needs of the company on both a day to day and long term basis.
We have around 70 staff using computers on a daily basis, and our servers are virtualised with VMWare, and include Windows Server, SQL Server and Exchange Servers. Most users connect into an RDP server, although our engineering department use CAD workstations and work locally.
The IT systems comprise the software systems – in-house developed software, third party systems, off the shelf packages, Windows server/mail/database and VMWare, and hardware system – network infrastructure, hardware virtual environment, users’ devices – desktop & mobile.
We also maintain and create some in-house software systems based on C#, VB, ASP.NET. HTML/CSS and Microsoft Access VBA.
The IT department will install, operate, maintain, develop and troubleshoot the various systems, and support users in their use of these systems, using both in-house expertise and external support as necessary.
The role will include: –
- Translating user development request into program change seeking to maximise the users satisfaction and efficiency
- Providing expert support and knowledge on system related issues
- Ensuring Statutory and Company HS&E regulations and procedures are adhered to
- Setting up of new users, and their computer systems
- Providing IT Training to users, as and when required
- Maintaining a professional presence to enhance the quality and reputation of both the department and the company
- Attending technical/ system user groups on behalf of the business
- Identifying system enhancements or changes which improve computer users processes
- Analysing, reviewing and altering program to increase operating efficiency or adapt to new requirements
- Troubleshooting and resolving system and user issues, prioritising as necessary, and using workarounds if required
- Escalating to the IT manager, or external support organisation, issues that cannot be resolved on a timely basis or where the IT Support Analyst does not have the necessary technical expertise
Essential Skills/ Experiance
- Experience within a small / medium IT Team
- 1st / 2nd Level Support experience
- Windows Server 2012 or newer
- Active Directory, DHCP, DNS
- Exchange || Windows 7 or newer || Microsoft Office
- Excellent communication skills
- At least one of the programming languages: Visual Basic 6, VB.NET, C#.NET, VBA
- Experience with SQL Server
- Visual Studio Knowledge
Advantageous Skills/ Experience
- Multiple programming language knowledge
- Website management experience
- Veeam Suite
- Solidworks experience/ knowledge
- ERP system exposure
- CRM system exposure
- Remote Desktop Services
- HP SANs
- Salary Dependent on Experience
- 39.5 hours Monday – Friday
- Company Pension Scheme
- Bonus Structure
- Opportunity to join Share Ownership Scheme
When we have no vacancies, or none which you feel are relevant to you, you can still apply speculatively, explaining which role would be your preference. If you would like to apply speculatively , click on the Apply Now button.
If we do not have vacancies you may still apply speculatively and we will keep your application on record. You may now apply speculatively online – click for Speculative Application